Friday, October 16, 2009

The Fashionable Jilbab

In Indonesia, many Muslim women wear a jilbab, which is intended to cover part of their body.  Just like any other piece of clothing, fashion and color coordinating (which I know nothing about) are of interest to lots of Muslim women.  Women often have many jilbabs of various designs and colors to match their outfits.  My friend once saw one with skulls on it! I am impressed with the plethora of beautiful patterns I have seen so far.





 jilbabs are for youngsters too




I would like to thank Nurul Izze for letting me take photos in their store.

5 comments:

  1. Women are the same everywhere--this proves it! Great subject and photos Todd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Todd, where did you took this pictures, the Jilbabs are nice, I would love to get some for my mom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy,
    I shot these at Nurul Izze. It is about 1/2 kilometer down gijayan on the left hand side. If I read the price tag right they are 35,000 RP.
    I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these photos (esp. the Mickey Mouse ears) - and wish the jilbab would catch on in western culture - sure would solve the "bad hair days!" I'm also struck by how colorful everything is over there - the food, restaurants, decor and even head coverings. Interesting. Idea - You &/or Melissa could do a post explaining the distinction between a burka and a jilbab - and the associated religious and cultural inuendos. As if you guys aren't busy enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed w/the comment about vibrant colors & striking patterns. I suppose all of us want to celebrate our individualism... great that these embrace a brilliant, fun quality.

    At some point Armani will take design queues & inspiration from the Indo version of the Jilbab, but expect a price tag of 3,500,000 RP.

    ReplyDelete