Sunday, December 6, 2009

Bali 5.0 - Tulamben Sunrise

One morning in Tulamben I woke up around 4:45 to capture the sunrise. I prefer sunrises to sunsets because it is much more quiet and peaceful. I rarely see anyone out. At this particular location in northeast Bali I thought the sun was going to be obstructed by the curving peninsula or by the mountains. I shot some photos from the rocky beach as the sky transitioned from a dark blue to a light pink/purple. I captured some shots I liked and headed back to my room. It was already light out and I figured the sun already peaked out. As I headed up the trail I glanced at the ocean and saw the sun starting to peak out. I was right next to a small fence with a gate partially open. The end result is the bottom photograph which I love, but was not planned:-)

5 comments:

  1. Outstanding photos, Todd! The first 2 are so serene and the water looks like milky glass. It really IS paradise over there!! And the sun through the door frame is definitely a money shot. I would have guessed sunset if you hadn't told me. Looking forward to more Bali .0 posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Holly on guessing that those were sunset shots rather than photos of a sunrise: I was fooled because I began to feel mighty drowsy looking at those photographs!!! The photos are very haunting--a feeling that I personally love. Give me the dark side anytime! Shoot on, my son.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, that was the last of the Bali series. Back to shooting Jogja!

    Cal B, I thought the sunrise shot would compliment your solar eclipse shot off point loma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work. Is the horizon in #1 level? I'd straighten it just a bit to keep from feeling like you are listing. I love the color hues & serenity of #2. The sky above the door frame in #3 is captivating.

    ReplyDelete