Sunday, November 15, 2009

After the rain.....

I finally feel like I am getting into a photography routine here in Indo. I try to keep my schedule open between 5:30 and 7 so that I can shoot during sunset. Sometimes I feel like photography is more than just a “fun” hobby, it’s more like work. In the states I simply do not have enough time to dedicate to photography. So naturally when I shoot in the States it always seems new, fresh and exciting. Here I am shooting 5 days a week and it’s starting to feel like a job. It’s a good thing though, I feel my creative side being pushed and extended. I simply can’t just shoot streaking car lights and interesting signs.

The rainy season has begun in Jogja now. It will rain for a few hours each day. Yesterday, I waited out the rain and headed out on my motor bike to shoot the sunset. I focused on a soccer field near my neighborhood. The sunset was amazing and the puddle-ridden soccer field reflected the sunset nicely. I also met a few locals who told me they play soccer at the field everyday around 4, and that I am more than welcome to come and play. My photography outings are becoming more than just taking photographs, they're also becoming my way of interacting with the surrounding communities. Without a doubt, each time I shoot I strike up a few conversations with strangers. Yesterday it was with a group of young men that were relaxing near the soaked soccer field. I could tell they were entertained by me walking around the field shooting. I also got the occasional “hey mister” from kids riding along on their bikes.


5 comments:

  1. Nice shots @ the soccer field... I'm surprised you got so many given the short amount of time with ideal light. The last B&W is very well done, only perhaps just a little too cropped at the top due to the guy w/the moto on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. E- thanks. yeah i would have liked a little more room.

    I shot all these photos with the lens you gave me. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome...nothing else to be said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! The colors in the palm tree shot are amazing - was that real? or photoshopped? love the last one, too - I agree w. E. Maybe you could photoshop out the motorbike. The reflections in the soccer field are really cool - looks like a pond. Guess you play soccer before the rains :-) If your photography seems like "work" that's a good thing - it's becoming clear it's a passion for you - and passions necessitate work - in the best sense. Keep at it!!

    ReplyDelete